Natural Gemstone Pendants - handmade by me in the United Kingdom

NATURAL GEMSTONE PENDANT NECKLACES - HANDMADE BY ME (SUZY) IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

I make unique one-of-a-kind pendants using natural gemstones like Agate, Amethyst, Jasper and Quartz but at very affordable prices. If you want to be different from the crowd, then check out my pendants and other items. You will never see anyone wearing the same as you.

I design and make greeting cards too.

Find me on Facebook, Google Plus, Etsy and Folksy

Monday 24 October 2011

How To Feel Young


I am going out tonight and it will be an interesting evening!  My husband is in a club for old aircraft enthusiasts (and it's not just the planes that are old) who have regular social events for the wives too.  We don't go to many of these but he has booked us in for this one as he dragged me along to a similar one before.  I wouldn't mind but I feel like a baby compared to them as the average age is about 70-75 and my husband is one of the only 3 younger ones.  Don't get me wrong as I have nothing against older people and most of them are great but I just feel so out of place as last time the younger ones didn't come along and I am not sure if they will this time either.  





They play bar skittles (or table skittles) at this event and I had never even seen it played before yet alone tried it.  The winner last time has now passed on and the one who came 2nd, who usually always wins, is well into his eighties.  Well when my turn came the first puck (I think they were called) hit the side of the table and bounced back at me, the 2nd knocked some down but then shot off the side of the table and the 3rd one was ok.  After that though I got the hang of it and had a reasonable score for the 2nd round.  By the 3rd and last round I had definitely got the hang of it and seen how other people did it, so selected what I thought was the best method and knocked them all down in one go - a strike they called it when I used to go bowling but I have no idea what they call it in bar skittles.  






I used to really enjoy 10-pin bowling but haven't been able to do it for years due to a bad back but this is nothing like it whatsoever and the technique is completely different.  The only similar thing at all is the fact that skittles (or pins they are called in bowling) are used.  The thing you throw, which I think is called a Puck is more like an oval disc if I remember rightly (it was probably last year or early this year when I tried it before).  I don't know if it is just this group or the way they do it in general but they position a person either side at the back of the table ready to pick up the pucks and the fallen pins, taking it in turns.  Now this is logically totally stupid to me as they have to jump (well ok at that age take avoidance measures) to not get hit by flying pucks that have jumped off the table.  But it is not up to me as the baby of the group to suggest they position themselves BEHIND the thrower and just move forward when the player has finished - they have done it for so long it would be unlikely they would listen to a "child" (or new younger person) who doesn't know what they are talking about.  I have noticed in this photo of another bar skittles somewhere that they have a net behind theirs which would obviously help!       









Here’s a couple of trivia snippets for you today:

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance. 

Dolly Parton once lost a Dolly Parton Look-Alike contest. 










And lastly todays chuckle (which seems appropriate today):

A guy is 72 years old and loves to fish.


He was sitting in his boat the other day when he heard a voice say, 'Pick me up.'

He looked around and couldn't see anyone.

He thought he was dreaming when he heard the voice say again, ‘Pick me up.'

He looked in the water and there, floating on the top, was a frog.

The man said, 'Are you talking to me?'

The frog said,

'Yes, I'm talking to you. Pick me up then kiss me and
I'll turn into the most beautiful woman you have ever seen'.
'I'll make sure that all your friends are envious and jealous as I will be your bride!'

The man looked at the frog for a short time, reached over, picked it up carefully,
and placed it in his front pocket.

The frog said, 'What, are you crazy?

Didn't you hear what I said? I said kiss me and I will be your beautiful bride.'

He opened his pocket, looked at the frog and said,
'Nah, at my age I'd rather have a talking frog.'

 With age comes wisdom.

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment