Natural Gemstone Pendants - handmade by me in the United Kingdom

NATURAL GEMSTONE PENDANT NECKLACES - HANDMADE BY ME (SUZY) IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

I make unique one-of-a-kind pendants using natural gemstones like Agate, Amethyst, Jasper and Quartz but at very affordable prices. If you want to be different from the crowd, then check out my pendants and other items. You will never see anyone wearing the same as you.

I design and make greeting cards too.

Find me on Facebook, Google Plus, Etsy and Folksy

Monday 12 December 2011

Easy Fake Cheese Bread Recipe


Now don’t switch off now if you don’t like marmite as there are alternatives below.  But I mentioned the marmite scone/bread in my last blog and I was going to tell you about it and give you the recipe.  I did manage to get a photo of the last little bit of the 1st loaf to show you and I took the 2nd one out of the freezer for you to see (but I did cut it into slices before I froze it as seen in the baking tin photo).  I never think to take pictures of anything as I haven’t really got quite into that “take photos of everything” scenario, probably because I don’t make a Smartphone and although my mobile phone does take photos I can only keep them on the phone itself and can’t transfer them because I don’t pay a monthly fee for my phone, so I have no way of transferring them to the computer or even sending them to anyone. 






This is the background of the recipe.  When the next door neighbour went on a breadmaking course he came back with all these recipes and one of them was to make cheese and marmite bread.  Anyway he made two of the marmite and cheese loaves and gave one to me – well it was nice but it would have been better to have just made a plain loaf and let me spread the marmite on it as usual.  The marmite hadn’t mixed in with the bread so it had big holes in as he had spread the marmite on and rolled it into the bread.  Consequently when you cut it the slice looked like a jam roly poly or swiss roll.  But it also left a gap in the bread presumably where the marmite didn’t adhere to the other side.  Well I obviously set him a challenge because he has now found it works better if he mixes the marmite in with the water in the recipe before making the bread.  So this is how we came to adapt this recipe.






My husband has been trying his hand at breadmaking too (after a one day course with the next door neighbour showing him his newly learned skills) and he happened to see this recipe that doesn’t follow the usual method as it has no yeast so doesn’t need to rise.  He made it with cheese, ham and chives as per the recipe and it was lovely – but I would call it more of a scone taste than a bread taste.  It’s like scone loafJ  Well he decided to try this recipe by dissolving some marmite in the water (as in next door’s bread recipe) but he also substituted marmite cheddar for the mature cheddar.  It came out really nice but the taste was still quite mild so next time he will try 2 teaspoons of marmite dissolved in the water instead of just one and go back to the mature cheddar cheese instead to make the whole taste stronger. 






So depending upon how strong you want the marmite and the cheese taste, you can just adapt the recipe with stronger or milder cheese and with more or less marmite dissolved in the water.  But if you are one of those people who can’t stand marmite you can still make the recipe with just cheese or with the other flavourings.  I know marmite is one of those things that people either love or hate with a vengeance (my husband hates it so the marmite version will be made only for me). 

Fake Cheese Bread          (see below for alternative flavourings)

425g Self Raising Flour
150g Grated Mature Cheese (save ¼ for the topping)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Mustard Powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
½ teaspoon Black Pepper
200ml Warm Water (dissolve at least 1 teaspoon of Marmite – add more to taste)

Pre-heat oven to 200c / 400f

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, saving ¼ of the cheese for the topping.
Form into 2 long rolls and deeply slash the tops 4 or 5 times.
Push remaining cheese into the slashes and spread over the top.

Place in 2 medium pre-greased baking tins and cook for a full 30 – 40 minutes.
Cover with foil or greaseproof paper if top browns too soon.


This recipe can also be adapted by adding these for a savoury bread:
6 slices of Ham chopped into ½” squares.
½ bunch Chives chopped into ½” lengths.







Here is today’s trivia snippet:

In a pack of cards did you know the King of Hearts is the only king WITHOUT A MOUSTACHE?


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Lastly, we have todays chuckles:

The teacher asked Little Johnny, 
"Can you tell me the name of 3 great kings who have brought happiness and peace into people's lives?

Little Johnny answered:

"Drin-king, smo-king, and bon-king".




No comments:

Post a Comment