Natural Gemstone Pendants - handmade by me in the United Kingdom

NATURAL GEMSTONE PENDANT NECKLACES - HANDMADE BY ME (SUZY) IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

I make unique one-of-a-kind pendants using natural gemstones like Agate, Amethyst, Jasper and Quartz but at very affordable prices. If you want to be different from the crowd, then check out my pendants and other items. You will never see anyone wearing the same as you.

I design and make greeting cards too.

Find me on Facebook, Google Plus, Etsy and Folksy

Friday 2 March 2012

Anyone for Sushi?


I have a friend who recently tried Sushi at a restaurant in London and was rather disappointed – she had been so looking forward to it too.  Luckily her husband loved it and it was his birthday present after all, so all’s well that ends well J  But it got me thinking about where you can get certain food in restaurants when you are “out in the sticks” in the country as we are and how far you have to travel to get something a bit different.

Sushi is not a meal we can get around our area.  We have quite a variety of different foods available locally but definitely not Sushi.  We must have about eight Chinese restaurants and takeaways, the same for Indian food, Pizzas, Kebabs, good old English fish and chips and the odd Italian restaurant all in our nearest quite small town.  A bit further afield there are obviously a lot more but I can’t even imagine if there is a nearer Sushi restaurant than London.

So I guess, unless we want a trip to London, it is make your own Sushi.  After all, it can’t be that hard if you don’t have to cook it – LOL.  There are a whole load of Sushi recipes online to try.  I noticed one recipe called for ½ cup “imitation crabmeat” – what on earth is that? I can only think they mean “fish sticks” which used to be called “crab sticks” over here years ago.  Then there are “nori seaweed sheets” – well that is not something you can buy in any of our local supermarkets.  So maybe this making your own Sushi isn’t so easy after all.




Time to try another recipe – an easy one this time – it called for fresh tuna fish (so far so good), Sushi rice (well maybe not too hard as I guess it may be rice cooked in fish stock – but need to check that).  Then I hit the last ingredient – “wasabi paste” – what the heck is that!  I just know my local supermarket wont stock that!  End of that recipe too!

OK, so I check out Traditional Japanese Sushi – that can’t be too hard – straightforward with nothing fancy like some of the others.  Nope – apart from fish (easily acquired) the recipe also calls for the non-existent around these parts “seaweed sheets” and the “wasabi paste again”.  It must be a bit boring all these recipes calling for the same things J

So if I did want to try Sushi (which I don’t think I am that bothered about) it will have to be a long trip to the capital and find some in London!  I don’t even fancy raw fish.  I do like my food cooked, although I do like smoked salmon.  I don’t even like many shellfish – only prawns and shrimps.  I just cannot see any reason to swallow something whole like oysters – I mean what the heck, where is the taste in that?  I like my food so I like to chew my food.  If I am going to have calories I need to think I have enjoyed them on the way down!  I dare say, though, that Sushi made properly is really nice.  If I ever get to try some I will let you knowJ






Today’s trivia snippet:

The average lead pencil will draw a line 35 miles long or write approximately 50,000 English words.






Lastly, todays chuckles:

On the first day of school, a first-grader handed his teacher a note from his mother.
The note read, 'The opinions expressed by this child are not necessarily those of his parents.'


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


A woman was trying hard to get the ketchup out of the jar.
During her struggle the phone rang so she asked her 4-year-old daughter to answer the phone.  'Mommy can't come to the phone to talk to you right now. She's hitting the bottle.'

No comments:

Post a Comment