Natural Gemstone Pendants - handmade by me in the United Kingdom

NATURAL GEMSTONE PENDANT NECKLACES - HANDMADE BY ME (SUZY) IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

I make unique one-of-a-kind pendants using natural gemstones like Agate, Amethyst, Jasper and Quartz but at very affordable prices. If you want to be different from the crowd, then check out my pendants and other items. You will never see anyone wearing the same as you.

I design and make greeting cards too.

Find me on Facebook, Google Plus, Etsy and Folksy

Thursday 3 May 2012

Importing CD’s to the Computer – How I am getting on!


Well I did say I would be kept busy uploading songs from my CD’s to the computer – but I hadn’t really realised quite how busy!

At first I was going to just upload them while I was on the computer but it was taking so long that we decided to put more of an effort into it and so we are now using 2 laptops and the main PC to get the CD’s on faster. 

It has now turned into a major project.  Even if we are not on the computers we are going back and forth to them to put another CD in as soon as we hear the “ping” to say it has finished.  LOL – our life is revolving around the “ping” now J

 We even take one of the laptops in the lounge uploading them for the short time we watch TV in the evenings.  We would have both of them in there but one isn’t on the wifi  (don’t ask – oh go one then - hubby forgot the password he set up for the wifi and doesn’t remember if he wrote it down anywhere!).

The old laptop freezes regularly which is a real pain but the other laptop is ok.  The PC (which is the computer I use) works fine as long as I have very little open on the interne!  As soon as I open Google+ it is OK for a few CD’s and then it crashes the whole thing and I have to restart the computer.  This happens even if I leave Google+ on an “empty” page so it is not loading anything!  Too little memory left!  Help – I need a new computer, not an iPod – but there is a bit of a price difference!

So I spent the whole weekend loading CD’s and didn’t go on Google+ at all.  I was so very tempted but knew that if I went on there I would be on too long and get involved so thought it best to just get on with the CD’s as it is usually quieter on G+ at the weekends anyway – or that is what I kept telling myselfJ  So I also didn’t list any jewellery items on anywhere either.  Never mind.

Well we were both busy importing them for a while but then household things decided to step in like the downstairs toilet started leaking which turned into an all day task for hubby.  What timing!

Then one of the dining chair seats decided to crack (and yes, it was me sitting on it at the time – well just getting off actually).  We had already had another seat crack as well when I rested a knee on it while standing talking on the phone. 

So yes I have broken 2 chairs now – but as they are only chipboard seats (I think he said chipboard – he said they are not very strong anyway) and they have lasted about 30 years, so I guess they are now getting brittle.  I know that as he tried to flatten it by pushing the other way, it just snapped in half.  They were not fitting properly anyway as they had been re-covered without taking the original covers off so were pushing the frames out.

So now we have major chair renovations going on to mend those 2 chairs properly and strengthen the others as well, because apparently there is nothing supporting the seats apart from 4 small corner pieces of wood that they sit in.  LOL – we need them for Saturday too as we have friends coming round for dinner so no pressure!

The uploading has slowed down a bit over the last few days as I have had to be online so I have been using just the laptop when I have been online on the PC but I am getting there and have loaded over half of them now.

Wow, what is so great is that I have come across so many favourite old CD’s I had forgotten about.  So it’s been quite a treat from that point of view.

Deleting duplicate tracks has caused a bit of problem as to deciding which ones to take off, as they may then not be on an album you were expecting them to be on.  Should I take it off the main album, the “best of” album, the longest length track etc. - various artist albums are the easiest and safest to delete the duplicates from.  Oh well, I suppose I can always change a track over at a later date if I need to J

But the BIGGEST problem I had was just before I was going to bed one night, when I had imported the songs from one of the laptops and was just starting to import the songs from the 2nd laptop when a warning notice came up to say I was dangerously close to running out of hard drive space!!! 

It was a good job I had just checked the PC before heading off to bed as I don’t know what would have happened if I hadn’t been there to stop the import.

So I had to import everything back to the newest laptop instead, which hadn’t really got anything on it except programmes.  I had to do that just so that I would be able to use the PC the next day.  So much for the idea of having a full copy of all our CD’s on each computer!

Neither of us had even thought how much space we had left on the hard drive for all the new music!  Is that our age or the fact that the PC is 6 years old?!!  When I checked, the PC only had 144GB altogether which is nothing these days.

Anyway I have now loaded 14,558 songs so far (not including the duplicates that I have deleted) and if I started playing them now I could listen to new songs for the next 40.7 days it says!  I definitely have to keep going until I have finished importing them all, otherwise I will never know how far I got and would probably never finish them.




No comments:

Post a Comment