Natural Gemstone Pendants - handmade by me in the United Kingdom

NATURAL GEMSTONE PENDANT NECKLACES - HANDMADE BY ME (SUZY) IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

I make unique one-of-a-kind pendants using natural gemstones like Agate, Amethyst, Jasper and Quartz but at very affordable prices. If you want to be different from the crowd, then check out my pendants and other items. You will never see anyone wearing the same as you.

I design and make greeting cards too.

Find me on Facebook, Google Plus, Etsy and Folksy

Tuesday 12 March 2013

So what is the point of having a burglar alarm!!!!


As you know I am an owl – I go to bed late and often get involved online so end up going to bed really late…..!!! 

Well last night at 3.30 the house alarm went off over the road.  As my computer room is upstairs at the front of the house, I looked out straight away to see if I could see a van or anything suspicious.

OK I didn’t have my distance glasses on as I was on the computer but I could see the house and the road pretty clearly even though it was dark although the bushes in the garden next door slightly hampered my vision at ground level.

There was no movement, no van parked outside or even in the part of the driveway that I could see, although I couldn’t see all their front garden because of bushes and I couldn’t see the driveway up the other side of the house.  But no figures hurrying away either.

I kept watching presuming that something had triggered the alarm inside and the owners would turn it off in a minute but no, ten minutes later it was still going.

By now I thought I really should do something about it and as it wasn’t an emergency I rang 101.  The lady on the other end took my details (which seemed more important than what was going on over the road for some reason!) and I told her what I knew.

While I was speaking to her the alarm stopped, although that was probably because it was set to stop after 15 minutes.

Anyway, she told me that the police don’t investigate when house alarms go off - even though it was 3.30 a.m. and it seemed that the owners couldn’t be there or they would have turned it off.

She just told me that if I saw anyone running away or a vehicle drive off to ring “the 9’s”.

Well unless I had night vision binoculars to hand and could tell them the make and registration of the vehicle, then I rather think that would be a waste of time too as by the time they got here the burglars would be well away.

I kept an eye on the house and about 5 minutes after the alarm had stopped, a light came on in a downstairs room which was on for a good five minutes or so and by the time I went to bed ten minutes or so later the light had gone out but the security light round the side was on.  But still no fleeing burglars to be seen, so I can only presume the owners had finally been woken by their alarm.






So…… what I have learned from last night’s episode is that burglar alarms are a complete waste of time and if you are a burglar and you set an alarm off, then just sit tight and carry on with ransacking the house, as the police wont bother you.  Then, by the time you leave, the alarm will have stopped and even on the off-chance that it had woken a neighbour, they will be tucked up back in their beds and be well asleep again by the time you leave.  No worries about turning lights on in the house either to make your job easier, as it is even more likely to make neighbours think that the alarm had woken the owners.

I decided a well-lit outside of the house, possibly nice crunchy gravel, and of course dogs, are much more of a deterrent than a burglar alarm.



No comments:

Post a Comment